Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Where I'm Going- 2,000 Points Of Chaos

Well, my Chosen are coming along, but I have no photos to share as of yet. What I do have today are thoughts about the overall direction of my Chaos Space Marines.

I've been tooling around with my list yet again, removing unfluffy or just plain unneeded items. That Plasma Pistol on my Chaos Lord? Not really worth the risk of him frying himself for 15 points. That's the cost of a Space Marine, and all it'll most likely achieve is a single gibbed enemy mini before the guy gets into melee and starts slaughtering enemies. His sword is his weapon, not his gun.

The Daemon Prince remains a flying killing machine. All those attacks at his strength value turn him into a glorious Cuisinart of choppy goodness.

What about the Chosen? Well, they're getting the Mark of Khorne back. Those extra attacks on the charge are totally worth it against big units (like Orks) where you need to thin them out as quickly as possible. A prolonged combat with those fellows will result in you losing your Chosen to plain attrition, which is rather an unceremonious way to go out.

The Helbrutes have been discussed. Reaper Autocannons all the way.

The Chaos Cultists will be deployed in an MSU format, ten to a squad, just there to squat on objectives. They'll be armed as they come in the box, 1 point overpriced upgrade to Autoguns (it should be free) and 5 point glorified Bolter all. My worry is that should they come under too much fire they'll just pack it in and leave, but that's the risk you take with those fellas.


The Chaos Space Marines have undergone a tweak as well. The plasma squad has had the Mark of Nurgle dropped from them. It was just plain out of place in the army, since everything is Khorne marked or not at all. The other squad of Marines remains unchanged. I like their loadout enough to leave them be.

Finally we come to the add-ons. at 1,750 points I'm going with a Heldrake (duh) and a final squad of Chaos Cultists. The air superiority and/or dogfighting power the Heldrake brings to the table are just too good to be left out. The Chaos Cultists are there for their usual "grab an objective and go to ground" antics.

Finally we step up to 2,000 points. Daemons, Daemons, Daemons. The carnage a wave of Bloodletters brings to the table is just too good to be missed. Lots of bodies, AP 3 standard-issue weapons, and Rage + Furious Charge. All for 10 points per model. Just plain awesome. Oh, and did I mention their HQ choice clocks in at a whopping 85 points? Not too shabby.

That's the plan any way. Here's what my 2,000 point army list will look like:

HQ

Chaos Lord (warlord) w/ Mark of Khorne, Melta Bombs, Sigil of Corruption, The Murder Sword, Veterans of the Long War- 145 pts.

Daemon Prince w/ Power Armor, Wings, Axe of Blind Fury, Daemon of Khorne- 255 pts.

ELITE

8 Chosen w/ 2x Power Axe, 2x Power Fist, Veterans of the Long War; Chosen Champion w/ 2x Lightning Claw- 308 pts.

Helbrute w/ Reaper Autocannon- 105 pts.

Helbrute w/ Reaper Autocannon- 105 pts.

TROOPS

9 Chaos Cultists w/ Flamer; Cultist Champion- 55 pts.

9 Chaos Cultists w/ Flamer; Cultist Champion- 55 pts.

9 Chaos Cultists w/ 8 Autoguns, Heavy Stubber; Cultist Champion w/ Shotgun- 65 pts.

9 Chaos Cultists w/ 8 Autoguns, Heavy Stubber; Cultist Champion w/ Shotgun- 65 pts.

9 Chaos Space Marines w/ 2x Plasma Gun, Veterans of the Long War; Aspiring Champion w/ Power Fist, Plasma Pistol- 220 pts.

9 Chaos Space Marines w/ 2x Flamer, 2x added Close Combat Weapon, 7x exchange Bolter for Close Combat Weapon, Mark of Khorne, Veterans of the Long War; Aspiring Champion w/ Power Axe- 199 pts.

FAST ATTACK

Heldrake- 170 pts.

ALLIED HQ

Herald of Khorne w/ Lesser Reward, Greater Locus of Fury- 85 pts.

ALLIED TROOPS

16 Bloodletters w/ upgrade to Bloodreaper- 165 pts.

TOTAL

1,997 points

I'm not normally a huge fan of Khorne, but I am a huge fan of the current Bloodletter minis. I just have to put some together in more dynamic poses than can be achieved when making a WHFB regiment, and I would just plain love to make my own Herald mini. I'll need to figure out how to make him special, and I'm pretty sure my leftover Dark Eldar and Chaos Marine bits will fit the bill. That has more or less shaped this army into its current form, with my faux Khorne Berserkers leading the charge alongside the Chosen and Bloodletters. I'll probably get chewed to bits by plasma fire, but like I said, if I want to be competitive I'll pull out my Dark Eldar and torment Demitra with my ability to kite him around all day.

Now I just need to finish painting what I already own and get the stuff I need to finish up the army.

No comments:

Post a Comment