Sunday, March 3, 2013

Chaos On Tap

With my Miniature Market order placed, it is official. I'm going back to Undivided Chaos Space Marines. Don't get me wrong, I'm still down with Papa Nurgle, it's just that it takes some doing in order to get a Plague Marine army on the table now, and I just don't have the Power Armored Chaos Lord to do it with. I'm looking at converting this guy into my lord, since Terminator Armor (not to mention a Terminator bodyguard) is so expensive.

Points wise. I already own Typhus, a Lightning Claw Lord, and 5 Plague Marine Terminators. Plus two Land Raiders for them to ride around in...

Since I've placed my MM order, what's in it? A Chaos Space Marine codex, a plastic Daemon Prince, and two Chaos Marine squads. Not too too big of an order but this, along with two boxes worth of dudes from Dark Vengance, come out to be a 1,500 point Chaos Marine army.

Here's how:

HQ

Chaos Lord (Warlord) w/ Plasma Pistol, Melta Bombs, Aura of Dark Glory, The Murder Sword, Veterans of the Long War (140 pts.)

Daemon Prince w/ Power Armor, Wings, Ichor Blood, Mark of Khorne (225 pts.)

ELITE

8 Chosen w/ 7 Bolters, 7 Bolt Pistols, 2 Power Axes, Power Fist, pair of Lightning Claws, Veterans of the Long War
+ Chosen Champion w/ Bolter, Bolt Pistol, Power Maul (280 pts.)

Hellbrute w/ Multi-Melta, Heavy Flamer (115 pts.)

Hellbrute w/ Multi-Melta, Heavy Flamer (115 pts.)

TROOPS

19 Chaos Cultists w/ 17 Autopistols, 19 Close Combat Weapons, 2 Flamers
+ Cultist Champion w/ Autopistol, Close Combat Weapon, Shotgun (102 pts.)

19 Chaos Cultists w/ 16 Autoguns, 1 Autopistol, 19 Close Combat Weapons, 2 Heavy Stubbers
+ Cultist Champion w/ Autopistol, Close Combat Weapon, Shotgun (118 pts.)

9 Chaos Space Marines w/ 7 Bolters, 9 Bolt Pistols, 2 Plasma Guns, Veterans of the Long War
+ Aspiring Champion w/ Bolter, Plasma Pistol, Power Fist (220 pts.)

9 Chaos Space Marines w/ 9 Bolt Pistols, 7 Close Combat Weapons, 2 Flamers, Veterans of the Long War
+ Aspiring Champion w/ Bolter, Bolt Pistol, Power Fist (185 pts.)

TOTALS

1,500 points
HQ: 2 (24.3%)
ELITE: 3 (34%)
TROOPS: 4 (41.7%)
FAST ATTACK: 0 (0%)
HEAVY SUPPORT 0 (0%)
ALLIES: 0 (0%)

Am I 100% sure about the effectiveness of this army? Nope. What I am sure about is the price point and fluffiness. Perhaps if I were to switch out the Daemon Prince for another squad of Chaos Marines the list might get even fluffier, but I WANT a Daemon Prince, overcosted or not, in my army. Why? The mini is spiffy. That's it.

The Cultists will be a real hit-or-miss addition to the force. at 20 strong they'll be fairly difficult to dislodge, but any really focused attention should send them running for the hills. The close combat blob is just asking to be taken apart in hand-to-hand combat. They're going to struggle to be up to the task, but really all I'm looking for out of this squad is to deliver the Flamers into position and set something on fire.

The number of Chaos Marines in the army may leave a bit to be desired, too. With a grand total of 20 Marines, 9 Chosen, and a lone Chaos Lord, this list is a bit light on Power Armor, but it's going to be running screaming toward you, and you'd better do something about it.

Where will I go with this army next? What will it look like at 1,750 points? 1,850? 2,000?

The answer is simple; Daemons. While I hear that the book is rather random, I like the idea of minions of the Warp rampaging alongside my other servants of the Dark Gods. Plus I want to paint up some Plaguebearers and Bloodletters in the same fleshtone as the rest of my army. I think it will look pretty weird and maybe a touch disturbing. Very cool.

That's what's in store for Wargaming Chaos in the future. Tomorrow will see the completion of my Autogun armed Chaos Cultists and perhaps some more Dust Warfare minis as well. Seeyuh soonish.


No comments:

Post a Comment