Saturday, February 4, 2012

Spammy Davis Jr.

I know I said I'd never run a spam list, and I still intend not to, but I found a less spammy list over on "They Shall Know Fear", and I sort of liked it (as it still included a Haemonculus and Wyches) so I decided to tweak it a little and see if I could improve on it- having never played a game with my Dark Eldar, of course. I like the results, as much as one can like a Venom Spam inspired list...

HQ
Baron Sathonyx- 105 pts.
Haemonculus w/ Liquifier Gun, Shattershard- 75 pts.

ELITE
3 Kabalite Trueborn w/ 3 Blasters; Venom w/ Splinter Cannon- 146 pts.
3 Kabalite Trueborn w/ 3 Blasters; Venom w/ Splinter Cannon- 146 pts.
3 Kabalite Trueborn w/ 3 Blasters; Venom w/ Splinter Cannon- 146 pts.

TROOPS
5 Kabalite Warriors w/ Blaster; Venom w/ Splinter Cannon- 125 pts.
5 Kabalite Warriors w/ Blaster; Venom w/ Splinter Cannon- 125 pts.
5 Kabalite Warriors w/ Blaster; Venom w/ Splinter Cannon- 125 pts.
5 Kabalite Warriors w/ Blaster; Venom w/ Splinter Cannon- 125 pts.
9 Wyches w/ Haywire Grenades, Shardnet & Impaler; Hekatrix w/ Agoniser; Raider w/ Flickerfield- 218 pts.

FAST ATTACK
4 Beastmasters; 6 Khymerae; 3 Razorwing Flocks- 165 pts.

HEAVY SUPPORT
Ravager w/ Flickerfield- 115 pts.
Ravager w/ Flickerfield- 115 pts.
Ravager w/ Flickerfield- 115 pts.

TOTAL
1,846 pts.

As one would expect, the Haemonculus rides along with the 9 Wyches in order to provide them with a Pain Token, thus giving the unit a 75% chance of shrugging off any non-Power Weapon wound suffered in hand-to-hand combat. They've still got a 4+ Invulnerable save in melee, which makes them rather annoying opponents despite only being Toughness 3. The Baron, of course, joins the Beastmasters for the same reasons outlined in this article. Those beasties get NASTY with him hanging around.

This list has a couple of downsides, both pertaining to it's resiliance. First off, there are now only 3 Blasterborn per squad. This turns an already frail squad into absolute tissue paper. One good volley and they're toast. The second reason is that they now only have five Troops choices. This rather reduces their ability to claim objectives, especially since I now rely on four squads of Toughness 3, 5+ save warriors and their paper airplanes to squat on them.

This list appeals as it has some rather serious flaws (making it more challenging to play than pure Venom Spam), and all it would take are a few more minis in order to fill it out. Yeah, it looks like those Incubi are fading further and further into obscourity before they even hit the table...

Of course, I'll need to try out other lists before I remodel my army completely, but we shall see what we shall see, no?

I'm really into the idea of making a bunch of conversions for this army, and the Beastmasters and Baron look like perfect opportunities. I'll go into how to convert them in a later article (once I'm done collecting bits).

Less Spam, more appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment