Friday, December 23, 2016

Sakura of Sigmar

Why yes, I do like Asuka.
I've been doing a lot of painting. That painting has been to a level higher than you've seen on this blog in a while, and it has been rewarding to be producing an army painted to this standard.

When GW first started posting pictures of the new Sylvaneth, I knew I would be restraining myself from buying some, rather than just not getting them. They are all works of beauty, and I wanted to build and game with the minis in a way I could taste.

So, a couple of months ago I broke down and got the minis I had longed for.

It was worth it.

As soon as the boxes arrived from Dicehead Games, I tore the boxes open and got down to business.

*A quick aside here, if you buy GW online in the US, go through these guys. They are paragons of customer service!*

My first order of business was research. I had to find out which units were wort building, and which to avoid. It turns out that Treelords are all pretty great, and to my joy it turns out that the only real difference between them is their head & weapon. Both of these components are their own part, and the assemblies don't share any parts, so I had the option to magnetize them. This is a thing I had never done before, but the savings (both in terms of cash and time) made the call a no-brainer.

Best... Hair... Ever!!!
Turns out that if you know how to do it, the process of installing the magnets is nearly mindless. Thus, after assembling the components, I went to work with a pin drill and some rare earth magnets. The final result is just wonderful. I can build any two Treelords I desire, and it's just a matter of gently pulling off the head and hand, and then placing the appropriate replacement part into position.

Then the long slog... I put together 62 Dryads- 58 troops, and 4 leaders so that I can deploy 2 to 4 units as needed. This wasn't so much a nightmare as it was a marathon. Luckily I had a few days off and alone to do the assembly. Those models really hold up, even after over 10 years.

The Tree and Spite Revenants went together quite nicely, and left behind quite a few great bits and bobs to go on other models.

The Kurnoth Hunters, on the other hand, were a bit more trying. Not horribly difficult, just requiring patience.

Drycha, the whole reason I started this army, was a pain. The mini has lots of areas that have to be painted before assembly (the crystal in her leg in particular), so she had to be primed and painted half built, and man did I forget why I hate putting together a painted mini. I sure got one hell of a reminder! Unfortunately I don't have a pic of her readily available. Maybe next post?

I also put together and painted two Branchwraiths. luckily, the ethereal yet rugged look of the minis made it so I didn't have to fill each and every gap. Looking at them again, I well and truly adore this sculpt.

These are the first 21 dryads painted. Eleven more are just entering the third phase of my painting process for this army. In other words, I should be half way through the army very soon.

...And finally, my first ten Tree Revenants. I am particularly pleased with the result of the banner.

I am overjoyed that the hours I spent wandering around my neighborhood comparing paints, washes, and test minis to actual cherry trees paid off with such a great looking army. I'll be posting more pics soon, and hopefully this blog will pick back up as I prepare for a new project tangentially related to this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment