Saturday, September 7, 2013

Breaking Up Black, Green and Purple With... Black, Orange and Purple

I came to a conclusion yesterday. I hate my Nomads' color scheme. As a reminder since I hav not gone into Infinity in a while, here's what they look like:


The paintjob is rather abysmal, even by my own standards. With only about eleven miniatures in the force, I want to be 100% satisfied with the color scheme. It is for this reason that I've decided that a repaint is in order. Why now? Well, two reasons;

-Firstly, I'm approaching "goblin burnout". This is not good, as the end of the army is I sight. I'm almost there, and I don't want to end up saying "forget it" and have them sit on the shelf for another half decade.

-Secondly, there have been Infinity rumblings. Well, there always seem to be rumblings, but there never seems to be any action, as I've maybe played half a dozen games of Infinity since I started collecting my minis, and only once with my Nomads.

So, what will the repaint look like? I'm going with my original color scheme, black and purple. I've already run some test minis through the process, and they came out looking pretty darn good. Well, better than the above paintjob any way. They have more of a night time Spec-Ops look to them. Of course, being Nomads they have obnoxiously colored hair, which kind of breaks down the subtlety, but brightens up the minis. Of course the Zero and the Sin-Eater have no hair which makes the end result remain quite dark, but they have the Camouflage special rule, so they probably ought to be.

Since I'm out of Simple Green I'm doing something unheard of. I'm painting over the existing paint. It's actually come out rather well. Pictures in a few hours to a few days, time permitting.

Of course, it wouldn't be a return to a game system without the addition of a new mini to the force, so I went ahead and grabbed a Zero with an E/Mauler. These beauties are just what the doctor ordered, if the doctor is a Interventor Hacker that wants to stay well away from the action. The E/Maulers are pretty sweet since they both act as Deployable Repeaters for hacking attempts, and have the ability to defend themselves with an EMP pulse if an enemy gets too close. Of course since they're so big that they can't be hidden they have the weakness that they can just be shot off the board, but that just means I'll have to learn to deploy them correctly. Perhaps they should be protected by a land mine? I'll have to fiddle around with the idea, but having Sin-Eater covering fire for them, or perhaps just having the Zeros watch over them from a safe distance will work. It'll be pretty situational, and will require some practice, but this game is slick enough that I won't mind.

Of course, why do an Infinity order at all without a touch of cheesecake? I went ahead and grabbed the "Bootleg Lizard Squadron Pilot". I'm not sure if she's limited edition or not, but I decided not to risk it and go ahead and grab her while I'm at it. Even if I never decide to run a Lizard TAG, she'll be a nice piece to have, and I'll just show her in my display case.

The reason for the purchase of the new Zero is that I've (again, as usual) rewritten my army list. Before I had a Mobile Brigada mini in my force, but after a bit of reconsidering I decided to drop him. For his cost and the addition of an Alguaciles trooper I could add two Zeros and a Daktari. The Zeros are great for area denial with their mines and E/Maulers, and the Daktari is a quite competent field medic. The addition of the Zeros would also mean that I would have the ability to hunt down things that toss out smoke (my force's glaring weakness) which would disrupt my advance since the Szalamandra TAG I run is rather obsolete and can get blinded by such things. The last thing I want is for my Hyper-Rapid Magnetic Cannon to be rendered useless, as it takes up 90 of my 250 points. With a Burst of 5, an effective range of 36" (maximum 104"), and a Damage of 15 with Armor Piercing ammo, it is death to everything- even other TAGs.

The TAG itself may be considered obsolete, but HMCs never go out of style.

Well, al that's left is to toss out my list, which will of course have my Lieutenant's identity concealed. Here we go:

 GROUP 1 (Regular: 9/Irregular: 0):

 ALGUACIL Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (10)
 ALGUACIL Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (10)
 INTERVENTOR (Hacking Device Plus) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 26)
 CLOCKMAKER Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (18)
 ZONDBOT Electric Pulse. (3)
 DAKTARI Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (14)
 ZONDBOT Electric Pulse. (3)
 SIN-EATER HMG / Pistol, CCW. (2 | 34)
 ZERO Combi Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (18)
 ZERO (Deployable Repeater) E/Mauler, Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 24)
 SZALAMANDRA Hyper-rapid Magnetic Cannon, Heavy Flamethrower / . (2 | 90)
 SZALAMANDRA PILOT Pistol, Knife.

 5 SWC | 250 Points

It's a bit more fluid than before, and is less vulnerable to EMP, hacking, and the like. I still have the Sin-Eater's brutal AROs. I won't have to commit my Interventor, Clockmaker, or Daktari to the front line, and I get to paint and use those adorable little Zondbots! What's not to like?

I'll see how it performs on the table later, but on paper it looks killer.

*** After doing some reading it turns out that the Lizard TAG is the out of date chassis. Oh, well. My comment about the HMC still stands.

No comments:

Post a Comment