Sunday, September 8, 2013

Nomad Knowledge- Tournament Point Values


I made a discovery today. The NOVA Open runs its Infinity tournament at 300 points (at least this year). My last list was 250 points. That means I had to expand my army a bit. With those extra points I had do make a decision- do I just expand on the concept of my current army, or do I trash it and start from the ground up and re-tweak the entire concept?

This posed a problem; my gaming budget is shot until my wedding, and so I can't get any more minis. Even adding the Zero was a stretch. I had to work with what I had available.

So, I was limited to:
3 Alguaciles w/ Combi Rifles
1 Securitate w/ Combi Rifle+Light Shotgun
1 Interventor
1 Clockmaker
1 Daktari
1 Reverend Moira w/ Shock CCW & MULTI Rifle
1 Sin-Eater Observant w/ HMG
1 Mobile Brigada w/ MULTI Rifle+Light Shotgun
2 Zeroes- 1 w/ Anti-Personnel Mines, 1 w/ E-Maulers
1 Szalamandra & Pilot
2 Zondbots

That's my Nomads collection. It was from this I would have to draw my force. First out was the Mobile Brigada. He's just a weird mini, and I really don't like the look of him. Sure he's pretty cool on the tabletop, but I just can't bring myself to like him (unlike the Yu-Jing power armor- which looks fantastic).

The Szalamandra was an auto-include for its sheer firepower and durability. Ninety points isn't such a hard pill to swallow when you have 300 to work with. The inclusion of the Szally meant the addition of a Clockmaker, his Zondbot assistant, and an Interventor to protect this valuable asset. Of course, not all this is purely to support the TAG, the hacker can also go on the offensive and shut down enemy minis.

Of course, Alguciles are a must-have both as cheap, expendable troops and a way to generate orders for the rest of the gang. If somebody needs to draw out a sniper, who better than an Alguacile? Somebody need to form a meat-shield for your Lieutenant? Alguacile. Gotta clear out that minefield? Well, you get it.

Then defense came to mind. How best to cover my advance or just dominate an area of the board? Sin-Eater. Although he only fires once while I'm active, while I'm reactive he fires four shots when he gets an ARO. He's a beast. Plus he's camouflaged so it's hard to get rid of him once he settles into position. He's just an amazing mini in all respects (I even love the sculpt).

How about getting behind enemy lines? A sniper in the right position (or worse, a Missile Launcher sporting Hac-Tao) could really ruin my day. That's where my Zeroes come in. Got a sniper problem? just set a mine under him, step back, and BOOM! Problem solved. You'll be coming in as a Camouflage Marker, so he won't be able to do squat about it. I went into E-Maulers in my last entry, so if you want my opinion on them check that out.

Now, I've got a fair few infantry minis here, and a lot of them are pretty tough to kill, so how about a little backup? The Daktari is in. She'll nurse my troops back to health (those that don't get instantly splattered) and help recover anybody who falls unconscious from their wounds. Again she gets a Zondbot to run around with her and help out where she can't/shouldn't go.

Now, I've got all these minis I should take, but what about the one I want to take. Reverend Moira. She's a great mini, although she's a close combat mini (where I'm pretty much running a shooting force) but hold on! she's a Religious Trooper with an Optical Disruptor. This means she'll never back down or run away, and she'll inflict at least a -6 modifier to hit her. Tactically I'm torn between her and a Securitate (she's a Repeater and she's always expecting you). I just don't like the Securitate mini as much. She's a better bodyguard for a mini an enemy is trying to assassinate, and in a pinch she can let me try to hack any power armor or TAG that ventures too close to my line. The Securitate would also let me upgrade an Alguacile to an HMG, and you can never have too many HMGs.

I really ought to go with the Securitate. I really ought to go with the HMG. Unfortunately I can't get the HMG until a friend places an order from a mail order company, or I special order one from Huzzah Hobbies. The HMG Alguacile is pretty cool too...

I may, MAY have talked myself into a new mini once finances allow. Either that or someone out there could grab me one as a birthday present... (^_~)*

All that rambling aside, I just plain like the Reverend. she's dynamic, she's melee capable, she's wearing a thong...

Well, here's how the force stands right now:


GROUP 1 (Regular: 7/Irregular: 0):
 ALGUACIL Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (10)
 ALGUACIL Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (10)
 INTERVENTOR (Hacking Device Plus) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 26)
 CLOCKMAKER Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (18)
 ZONDBOT Electric Pulse. (3)
 DAKTARI Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (14)
 ZONDBOT Electric Pulse. (3)
 REVEREND MOIRA MULTI Rifle / Pistol, Shock CCW. (38)
 SZALAMANDRA Hyper-rapid Magnetic Cannon, Heavy Flamethrower / . (2 | 90)
 SZALAMANDRA PILOT Pistol, Knife.

 GROUP 2 (Regular: 4/Irregular: 0):
 ALGUACIL Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (10)
 SIN-EATER HMG / Pistol, CCW. (2 | 34)
 ZERO Combi Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (18)
 ZERO (Deployable Repeater) E/Mauler, Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 24)

 5 SWC | 298 Points
I may also want to work on my group distribution, but that's a thought avalanche for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment