Friday, September 13, 2013

More Nomad Painting and Army Revision

Alguacil, Securitate, & Reverend Moira
I finished painting a few minis on Wednesday, but I had no time to post them since I had a movie to attend. I went ahead and posted them today, so I guess better late than never, eh?

I've been painting eyes on my minis this time around, but since my brushes are.. sub par. NEVER buy the current Citadel brushes. They do not hold their shape and the tip splays out every couple of strokes. I thought the first one I bought was defective, but it turns out the quality of the brushes is just plain awful. Because if this I've been using an old (like several years old) detail brush. The tip is a bit wonky, but nothing like the Citadel brush I purchased. This made the pupils come out all huge and googly, and the minis are sort of staring, but hey, they have eyes, which is a massive improvement over past efforts.

Zero w/ E/Mauler, Mobile Brigada, & Alguacil w/ Sniper Rifle
My revisions of the paint scheme from before have all of the armor painting in purple, while all the rest of the clothing is in black. I kind of thought that a solid purple TAG might look a bit off, so I left most of the armor plating black. On the Mobile Brigada I decided to just go for it and see what painting every last armor plate purple. On a Power Armored mini this means quite a bit of purple. In fact, there's only a bit of black on the back of the mini and on the MULTI Rifle.

I also made another decision. All the armor plating on my minis will be glossy. I like the idea of having the armor on my minis being made of an advanced plastic or something along those lines. This, while a nifty addition on the other minis, makes the Mobile Brigada have a whole lotta glossy goin' on. That's okay with me though.

Now on to the actual army list. After reading this post I came to the decision that the two groups I had with only a few Orders each were quite possibly a big liability. I guess it can partially be your list rather than you. With that in mind I figured the "swarm/TAG" idea I had was just a little off. It was a great toolbox list, but would have kind of jerky turns- I'd be forced to move some of my minis from each group rather than having the option of having the Szalamandra "go Rambo" or withdraw a mini to the rear to keep it alive.

There was another problem. My original Lieutenant had the highest WIP in my force, which would broadcast who they were. Now the LT has an average WIP, which while a bit of a gamble as far as gaining the Initiative for deployment or first turn, keeps the identity of my leader a secret. For those who don't know, "Loss of Lieutenant" is often a game losing state- you drop from your normal Order pool to two Orders, and it costs both of those Orders if you want to nominate a new Lieutenant. In other words you're in deep, deep trouble.

Here we go:

 NOMADS

 ALGUACIL Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (10)
 ALGUACIL Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (10)
 ALGUACIL HMG / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 19)
 INTERVENTOR Hacker (Hacking Device Plus) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 26)
 CLOCKMAKER Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (18)
 SIN-EATER HMG / Pistol, CCW. (2 | 34)
 MOBILE BRIGADA MULTI Rifle + Light Flamethrower / Pistol, Knife. (43)
 ZERO Combi Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (18)
 ZERO (Deployable Repeater) E/Mauler, Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 24)
 SZALAMANDRA Hyper-rapid Magnetic Cannon, Heavy Flamethrower / . (2 | 90)
 SZALAMANDRA PILOT Pistol, Knife.
 ZONDBOT Electric Pulse. (3)
 ZONDBOT Electric Pulse. (3)

 6 SWC | 298 Points

This army has exactly 10 Orders, which is the maximum allowed in a single group. This will make the group fluid, and allow me to dump Orders exactly where needed. It has the tools to take on any enemy force, with Camouflage Markers roaming around the board causing problems by plunking down mines and E/Maulers in order to deny areas of terrain. Big Burst values allow the army to deal with swarms. Are there weaknesses? Sure, but they can be gotten around. I like the look of this army, but I'll have to try it out on the table to find out for sure. Hopefully on Wednesday I'll be able to play a game. Hopefully on Wednesday there will be someone with a big enough army to take me on...

2 comments:

  1. Glad I read through this cluster of Infinity posts before dropping a comment. You'll want to adjust your expectations for Wednesday, especially regarding game size. I don't know what size games have been going on (though an educated guess says 60-70), but the "armies" have been 5-6 models of regular dudes, no big stompy robots. Thus far Infinity has very much been a "we don't have time for another round of Warmahordes so let's figure out this other system" game with training wheels for everyone. If you're looking for high caliber play against a finely tuned, well thought out list then you're going to be disappointed. Unless you coordinate with Josh and get him to come prepared for something different. Hate to burst your balloon, but better forewarned than getting a rude surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hold no illusions about starter games, I'm just hoping to get someone (or two or three) to eventually get to 300 points. There is also the prospect of starting an Infinity thing over at Huzzah. I left my email at the store for the guy over there to get in touch with me. Ideally I'd like to get in some practice for next year's NOVA Open, and in order to do that I'll need to work my way up from starter box games (~100-150 points) to full on well thought out battles (250-300 points). I'll continue to work on and think out my squad as I (hopefully) spread the gospel of Infinity. No matter what, I'm going to try to help grow the game, but ultimately I'm going to go to where the grass is greenest.

      Delete