Thursday, September 12, 2013

Three Hundred Points of Nomads: The Next Revision

Yep, I'm still pondering my Nomads. This time I listened to my brain and swapped the Reverend Moira for a Securitate and an Alguacil with a Heavy Machinegun. More orders, better defensive capability, and an HMG that can advance and cover the rear of my Szalamandra team (Szally, Clockmaker & Zondbot) as they advance, and not care too terribly much if they die. People bemoan the Alguacil HMG as not being accurate, but it has a Burst of 4 and can tear through armor. All it needs is a decent roll and the target is in trouble. Here's what I'm thinking for my team now:

 GROUP 1 (Regular: 7/Irregular: 0):

 ALGUACIL Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (10)
 ALGUACIL HMG / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 19)
 SECURITATE Combi Rifle + Light Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (23)
 INTERVENTOR (Hacking Device Plus) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 26)
 CLOCKMAKER Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (18)
 SZALAMANDRA Hyper-rapid Magnetic Cannon, Heavy Flamethrower / . (2 | 90)
 SZALAMANDRA PILOT Pistol, Knife.
 DAKTARI Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (14)
 ZONDBOT Electric Pulse. (3)

 GROUP 2 (Regular: 5/Irregular: 0):

 ALGUACIL Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (10)
 ALGUACIL Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (10)
 SIN-EATER HMG / Pistol, CCW. (2 | 34)
 ZERO Combi Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (18)
 ZERO (Deployable Repeater) E/Mauler, Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 24)

 6 SWC | 299 Points

This one manages to keep the TAG, while still covering the table with enough infantry to generate sufficient Orders to go around. The number of minis does force me to divide my force into two groups, which also splits up my Order pool, but that just means I'll have to use them as a coherent force rather than having a couple of minis running around going nuts with Orders. I feel that this will force me to rely on my force as a whole, rather than simply leaning on my TAG and asking it to do all of the heavy lifting. With that mentality it's a sure way to have me lose games as soon as the Szalamandra goes down, rather than being able to regroup and start my push again. Granted, my TAG basically dominated the board with its HMC last time I used it, but there are ways around it, and opponents will figure out how to tackle the challenge it provides soon enough. Once that happens, the Szalamandra may even become a liability, but who knows? I'll just have to practice, practice, practice. As much as possible, because I'm really thinking that if I do ever go to the NOVA Open, I'd do it to play Infinity.

The tournament is cheaper, and the rules just make sense to me. The geometry and shenanigans involved in HordesMachine have escaped me. If I'm going to harp on a system and try to get really good at it, it really ought to be one that clicks in my mind, no? Besides, I like the unofficial slogan of the Infinity; "It's not your list, it's you."

In other words, this game is less about what minis you bring, it's about how you employ them on the table.

Of course, while I was writing this I came across a beginner's primer on list building for Infinity...

I'll have to think about some of the points the author brought up and see about integrating a few of them into my build.

Back to the list building site...

No comments:

Post a Comment