Thursday, June 30, 2011

Two Posts in One Day! This Time: Skaven at 2,500 points!

2, 500 points of Skaven. Also Mr. Frog- one of my ferret's favorite toys.
My last game at Games Workshop kind of caught my opponent off-guard. You see, they've been playing 2,500 point games there in preparation for that tournament that's coming up. I really want to get more familiar with my Skaven, as they're my favorite Games Workshop race, so I decided to write up a 2,500 point army for them.

I sat down with my "army construction software" and began to crank out an army list. As usual, it focuses on heavy hitters surrounding what is more or less a bunker for my Grey Seer.

This is a fairly standard list, it just incorporates some units which are regarded on the internet as... less than effective. Personally, I like them, so in they went.

Lords
1x Grey Seer w/ Power Scroll, Talisman of Preservation, Ironcurse Icon (325 pts.)

Heroes
1x Chieftain w/ Battle Standard, shield, Sword of Might, Foul Pendant (122 pts.)
1x Warlock Engineer (lvl. 2 Wizard) w/ Warp-Energy Condenser (120 pts.)
1x Warlock Engineer w/ Doomrocket (45 pts.)
1x Assassin w/ Blade of Corruption, The Other Trickster's Shard (170 pts.)

Core
53x Clanrats w/ full command, shields, Poisoned Wind Mortar weapon team (314.5 pts.)
40x Clanrats w/ full command, shields, Warpfire Thrower weapon team (270 pts.)
40x Skavenslaves (80 pts.)
40x Skavenslaves (80 pts.)

Special
7x Gutter Runners w/ slings, poisoned attacks (126 pts.)
6x Rat Ogres & 4x Packmasters w/ Master-Bred Rat Ogre (287 pts.)

Rare
1x Hell Pit Abomination (235 pts.)
1x Hell Pit Abomination (235 pts.)
1x Warp-Lightning Cannon (90 pts.)

Total: 2,499.5 pts.

As usual, my army is led by a Grey Seer. I know he's a magnet for enemy fire and spells, but Curse of the Horned Rat is just too good a spell to pass up, especially for dealing with elite units like Tzeentch Chosen or Phoenix Guard. Just cast it with a Power Scroll, get Irresistible Force, and watch your troubles melt away. Sure, you'll blow up some Clanrats, but they're Clanrats- plenty more where they came from!

The Warlock Engineers carry their usual kit, so they can be skipped.

New to the army is an Assassin. I've armed mine with the Blade of Corruption, so every wound he inflicts (at Strength 5) is doubled. Sure, there's the possibility of him rolling two ones and killing himself, but with his re-rolls to hit in melee, he should be fine. He also carries The Other Trickster's Shard, a personal favorite of mine. Forcing an enemy model to re-roll all passed ward saves should help power through those doubled wounds, hopefully killing the target instantly. Should he fail, he's a whopping 170 points given up, but that just means I'll have to be careful where I reveal him- going after softer targets like battle standards rather than Lord-level models.

My core choices remain the same, so no comment needed there other than that this time I've included a Warpfire Thrower to deal with multiple wound and/or regenerating models.

My Special choices are again unremarkable other than the fact that I've upgraded one of my Rat Ogres to a Master-Bred Rat Ogre. This gives the unit a champion capable of standing up to hero-level characters in a challenge and tearing the limb-from-limb. With his vastly improved stat-line, I feel he's the only Monstrous Infantry champion worth his points.

Rare is more or less unchanged except for adding a second Hell Pit Abomination. I've heard that running two gives your opponents fits, so I scrounged up my scratch-built one from before there was an official model and threw it into the army.

There you have it, my 2,500 point Skaven army. Maybe I'll even get a game in with it once I start understanding this math course I'm in...

No comments:

Post a Comment