Friday, June 10, 2011

Just Before the Nose Hits the Grindstone

Don't mind that yellow dot on Kujaku's sword, it's been fixed.
Last night, after returning home from work, I suffered a touch of sleeplessness. This led me to work on Kujaku until the wee hours of the morning (well, not too wee, as Craig Ferguson had just started, but late enough). I entered a sort of zen-like trance, and just kept adding colors to miniatures.

Contrary to my previous beliefs, Kujaku is wearing a brown yukata with a cherry blossom print on it in her artwork, rather than a purple and white one. This made painting her much easier, but I still had to deal with layering pink and white over a brown basecoat, followed by a little yellow dot in the center of each flower. This girl is simply covered in flower patterns, so I had to spend quite a bit of time freehanding cherry blossoms.

One thing I didn't notice until a good deal of the way through the miniature is that she has a samurai helmet tied to her left (your right) shoulder. This came as quite a shock when I looked closer at what I believed to be the usual token piece of armor on female miniatures. Luckily I was able to catch it before dullcote-ing the mini. Once I finish the draft of this paper it's off to my FLGS to grab some Mecherite Red to start on my next miniature.

Now, focus!

1 comment: