Wednesday, May 30, 2012

More Bodies, But Does It Have The Hitting Power?

So, I've run into the idea that my army just doesn't have the sheer volume of models required to beat other horde armies. This idea has led me to revise my army list in the hopes of eliminating enemies like goblins and their ilk in melee. I tweaked my army list a bit to see what it would look like without the Rat Ogres, and with some Plague Monks splashed in.

LORDS
Grey Seer w/ Talisman of Preservation, Ironcurse Icon- 290 pts.

HEROES
Chieftain w/ battle standard, halberd, Armor of Destiny- 122 pts.
Plague Priest w/ flail, level 2 wizard, Dispel Magic Scroll- 164 pts.
Warlock Engineer w/ Doomrocket- 45 pts.

CORE
40 Clanrats w/ full command, shields, Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team- 270 pts.
40 Clanrats w/ full command, shields, Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team- 265 pts.
40 Skavenslaves- 80 pts.
40 Skavenslaves- 80 pts.

SPECIAL
6 Gutter Runners w/ slings, poisoned attacks- 108 pts.
30 Plague Monks w/ full command, Banner of Eternal Flame- 245 pts.

RARE
Doomwheel- 150 pts.
Warp Lightning Cannon- 90 pts.
Warp Lightning Cannon- 90 pts.

TOTAL
1,999 pts.
205 models

What I like here is the volume of models. What I don't like here is the lack of high strength weapons with which to deal with big, scary stuff with lots of armor. I really wonder if the lacking Rat Ogres / Hell Pit Abominations will be missed. The Plague Monks sure crank out a lot of attacks, and that Plague Priest will be a nightmare in close combat, but is he really enough?

Also, you may have noticed that the spell casting Warlock Engineer has been replaced with the Plague Priest. He will be better up close, but I have to trade for (in my opinion) an inferior spell list and the risk of placing an unarmored character in the thick of the fighting. I'll be sure to burn that Dispel Scroll early, because once he's in combat I don't expect him to last too long.

Of course, what I may do is trade out that Dispel Magic Scroll for an upgrade from the Banner of Eternal Flame to the Plague Banner. Of course, in order to make that call I'll have to run the army through a few tests...

Friday can not get here quick enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment