Thursday, August 8, 2013

A Break From Mystery: Night Goblins

Skarsnik & Gobbla
Yep, that's right. In addition to my Skaven I'm now putting together a Night Goblin army. I love hordes of inept little villains, and I'm a sucker for punishment when it comes to painting a billion and a half little dudes.

Dudes that all look the same.

Luckily my army list has quite a few characters in it, as well as a good number of Squigs. This helps to break up the monotony a bit, and with an army that relies on Horde formations in order to function, this is a great big deal. I thought that all Clanrats looked the same. No. All Night Goblins are the same dude over and over. I don't care if they have slight variations in pose, or the boss on their shield varies a bit between minis, I have 120 miniatures from the old "Battle for Skull Pass" box set, and the spearmen are all the same. The archers are all the same. They're all essentially the same goblin wearing the same black robe with the same armament from gobbo to gobbo.

But that's okay. I love the fluff behind the Night Goblins. I love the way they play on the table. You can be so insidious and constantly mess with your opponent. The army is pretty inept, to the point where if you can't cripple your opponent on the way in and then hammer him with all your best stuff once he make it to you, you have lost the game. There's no heroic last stand with this army. There's no valiant warrior cutting swathes of enemies down with every strike.

Another inept green evildoer.
Mostly there's lots of screaming.

...And dying...

...And let's not forget the running away.

When things go right however, and they tend to have to go more or less flawlessly, there's joyous cackling. And I mean a lot. This is an expert's army. Not only does it tend to get unruly, but you have a limited pallet of troops to draw from. If they're not ill tempered little green dudes in black robes or giant man-eating (and goblins too if they're not careful) fungoid monstrosities (and in my case dimwitted trollish pets) they're out. I probably wouldn't include the Trolls if not for one coming in the Battle for Skull Pass box, but if Games Workshop says they're fluffy for a Night Goblin army, who am I to argue? Plus the minis are really cool.

The limitations on the army make it function in a very specific manner. Stand your ground (usually), release the Fanatics, and then rush the now softened enemy with the big stuff.There are variations on this, and my army uses a particular one that has... Questionable morals at best (I'm not cheating, but the way I employ my regiments is at times perhaps a bit gamey). But hey, I'm playing goblins, and there are always plenty more where they came from, right?

The origin.
I'm not going to post my army roster here (for a change) as it is both a little in flux as well as (for now) a closely guarded secret. Gobbos are known for their tricks and traps, and they abound in this list. Tipping my hand would ruin the surprise as well as the fun.

I'm hoping I'll be able to get a game or so in before my free time goes from dwindling to non-existent (the wedding planning is a complete time vampire).

Demitra gave some rumblings about his Empire army, but it would require a large investment of time, effort, and money on his part, and he basically said for me not to hold my breath, so I'm not going to. It would be nice to have another sparring partner as my usual WHFB partner had another kid recently (ish) so he's kind of out of the picture for a bit.

Oh, by the way, the mystery project has been completed, and I have begun a rundown of it, but this was more pressing today, so it has been pushed back.

1 comment:

  1. For once money isn't the issue since I already have (what I assume is) a fieldable army. The stumbling blocks are the old standards: time and focus. Painting a WFB army from scratch isn't going to happen overnight, which means there are plenty of opportunities for other games to seize my painting attention. I've always liked the aesthetic of big blocks of troops and it's silly to have all these minis hidden away in their box and not do anything about it. I'd like to help you scratch your fantasy itch as well, but want to keep expectations well under control before getting started on anything. We gamers like nothing so much as starting a project and then abandoning it for something new.

    All that said, I look forward to (eventually, some day) pounding your big blocks of rats and/or goblins with artillery before sending in the cavalry.

    ReplyDelete