Thursday, December 19, 2013

Big Stompy Robots

 
"You made the fires worse!"  "Worse? Or better?"
Here they are! Yep, I've finished up the two models which have arrived for my Irken invasion force. They're the 15mm scale Leviathan Crusader from Dreamforge Games. These will count as Riptides with Heavy Burst Cannons and Twin-Linked Plasma Guns (they're kind of hard to see, but they are sticking out of the chest in the armpit area).
 
How the model is "supposed" to look.
I decided that the head was too "human tech" looking and went with a more dome-shaped head by gluing a glass bead into place. I also didn't like the way the power plant looked, so off came the smoke stacks. Finally, I cleaned off every last rivet on the model to give it a smoother look. Demitra commented that the model was a bit small to represent a Riptide, but then everything is a bit small in my army. I'll give you a side-by-side once I get around to it. Personally I think they're plenty big, so I'm pleased.
 
How about the assembly process? Why bring this up? Because it is a nightmare. The pieces are poorly labeled. The instructions are confusing and in a couple of places just plain wrong (in particular one step where the parts are numbered incorrectly). Unless you cannot find a mini to fill in the space of this model, avoid this thing like the plague. I cannot stress this enough- I have been modeling for as long as I can remember, and I have not hit this level of frustration in years.
 

Now continues the waiting game. Will my Irken arrive soon? How about my Megadoomers? My various robot servants? We shall see, but honestly I'm not holding my breath. Most places have closed up shop for a while, so unless the minis I'm waiting for are already in the mail (as with the soon to be Megadoomers- though on a slow plane from England) They just plain won't show up on time.

Looks like it's Super Dungeon Explore time!

1 comment:

  1. Chin up chap, I got a delivery from a small, hobby-centric business today. Your day could soon be at hand!

    ReplyDelete