Saturday, August 25, 2012

Dark Angel Debacle?

Guess who's back.
Well, it's been a while since I painted anything, and it'll be a while before I get another game in, so I decided to rummage through my gaming cabinet. While in there I stumbled upon my long neglected Deathwing army. Feeling sorry for them, I pulled them out and started playing around with army lists in Army Builder. I was shocked to find that I was but a single squad away from a (hopefully) fully functional 2,000 point Deathwing army. Now, I haven't used them in a while, mainly because they regularly get the tar knocked out of them, but since Dark Vengance is on it's way (the new 40k boxed set) I decided to finish my army. Honestly, there's not too much in there I'm really interested except for that gorgeous looking squad of terminators. Them and the portable rulebook. Well, there's that Hellbrute for my Plague Marines too...

As usual I digress. Inspired, I ran over to my FLGW and grabbed a box of Assault Terminators. This time they would be outfitted for killing stuff properly. I eagerly went about putting them together, outfitting the sergeant and three veteran marines with Thunder Hammers and Storm Shields, and the final marine with a Heavy Flamer and Chainfist. Nothing would stand before my glorious legion! Nothing, I say!

Now they sit, fully assembled, based, and primed (in bonewhite) waiting for the tender caress of a paintbrush. I hope to get some work done on them tonight, but one thing stands in my way- I no longer have any of the dip I used on the rest of the army! It dried in the can months ago, and there's just no way I can rationalize spending another $40 or so on a can for a single squad.


This has led me to ponder color matching. How can I approximate the same color I got from the dip with the paints I already have? I'm thinking some really thinned down Devlan Mud, but the color just isn't the same and I really need to save that jar for my SSU infantry. No, what I really need here is some homemade dip.

I still remember the recipe, it's not that hard. Just add the desired color to some acrylic floor wax. the issue of color again arises. can I find just the right shade of brown to match the Army Painter dip? Only time will tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment