Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Random Deathwing Wishlisting

As I sit here at work, I've been considering my Deathwing now that I've finished my Thunder Hammer / Storm Shield Belial mini. As it stands now, the list looks like this:

Belial
2x Venerable Dreadnoughts with Multi-Meltas & Extra Armor in Drop Pod
2x squads of Terminators with 1x Chainfist & Assault Cannon
2x squads of Terminators with 1x Cyclone Missile Launchers
1x squad of Terminators with Chainfist, Heavy Flamer, 3x Lightning Claws, Thunder Hammer / Storm Shield

I have come to believe that the Dreadnoughts are nothing more than fire magnets, arriving one at a time just to be annhilated by heavy weapons fire. This is not okay.

So, out comes my army construction software, and I sit down to write a revised army list. The final product looks something like this:

Belial
Interrogator Chaplain in Terminator Armour
1x squad of Upgraded Terminators with 1x Chainfist, 1x Heavy Flamer, 4x Thunder Hammer / Storm Shield, Apothecary, Standard Bearer
2x squads of Terminators with 1x Chainfist & 1x Assault Cannon
2x squads of Terminators with 1x Cyclone Missile Launcher
1x squad of Terminators with 1x Chainfist, 1x Heavy Flamer, 3x Lightning Claws, 1x Thunder Hammer / Storm Shield

OR

Belial
1x squad of Upgraded Terminators with 1x Heavy Flamer, 4x Thunder Hammer / Storm Shield, Apothecary, Standard Bearer
2x squads of Terminators with 1x Chainfist & Assault Cannon
2x squads of Terminators with 1x Cyclone Missile Launchers
1x squad of Terminators with 1x Chainfist, 1x Heavy Flamer, 3x Lightning Claws, 1x Thunder Hammer / Storm Shield
2x Land Speeders with Multi-Melta & Typhoon Missile Launcher

I'm honestly torn here. The top army build has resiliance in spades. Nothing has less than a 2+ armor save, and the command is almost entirely 2+ armor / 3+ Invulnerable, plus Feel no Pain and an extra attack on the entire squad.

The second army is a bit more flexible. With a possible eight missiles a turn and two Multi-Meltas, this army will hunt armor better than the first. Of course, any half-way savvy opponent will figure this out immediately and take out the Land Speeders ASAP. Missile Launchers, being little better than any anti-infantry weapon against my infantry, will be drawn as if by magnets to the speeders, which will go down like flies unless they are cared for with the utmost caution.

In the end, the question is what do I spend my money on the next time I have some cash? I'm leaning more toward the first army, but I just can't be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment