Thursday, February 6, 2014

Doom, Doom, Doomwheel

Since my army list now calls for two of these suckers (rather than a pair of Abominations) as well as two Warp Lightning Cannons (suck on that multi-wound models) I had to run out and get a "modern" Doomwheel to run alongside my "classic" one. Since no two Skaven war machines should look exactly alike, this works just fine for me. Off to the right is my newest addition to my Skaven horde. Thinking I had a practice game coming up at my FNSLGS Wednesday I frantically assembled it at work, fully aware that once again, much to my chagrin, I may have to field an unpainted miniature. Turns out, that due to circumstances beyond my scheduled opponent's control, the game would be cancelled. This sparked two things in me- annoyance at the situation, and a burning desire not to run an unpainted mini in WHFB. Thusly I sat down at my painting table with purpose- invigorated by my fury at having to miss one of the very few warm-ups I would be afforded by the time crunch.

I primed. I basecoated with a purpose. I even made a new batch of "not quite the same color as Army Painter but still pretty good looking" Finish Floor Wax dip. To the left is the final product.

You may note that off to the right of the freshly assembled Doomwheel and behind the painted but unbased one there are Giant Rats. For those of you long-term GW fans out there you may even note a pair of Necromundan Giant Rats. I have been desperate to fill in my "rat dart" units, and much to my relief between the ones included in the Doomwheel kit and the ancient metal treasures returned to me by Demitra I have enough minis (even a few extras) to finish out the units. I'm on a mission here. I am going to finish painting the Skaven army, as I had a few lingering minis that had not yet been completed. I'll need to get some Army Painter Camo Green to prime the stragglers, as well as some Simple Green, a new toothbrush, and finances permitting a box of the new plastic Stormvermin (and/or a Plague Furnace should the Great Horned One smile upon me) to bulk out my remaing rat collection holes. I should likely add some Night Runners and maybe a Plagueclaw Catapult to the roster, but let's be honest- compared to the other entries in the army book those options are sub-par. Then there's Poisoned Wind Globadiers and Plague Censer Bearers of which I have a few. Maybe I should fill out those units. I mean, they're already started...

To the point- I'm almost done painting what rats I already own, and I'm nearly ready for the tourney, so all it will take to complete my army now is a can of Dullcote and the $15 entry fee to play. I'll post the army soon, as soon as I can snap a picture of it fully assembled and painted. The army list will be in the same post, as the tournament is an open list format so I don't really care who sees it ahead of time. Expect some exciting things for the rats in the very near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment